Monday, September 6, 2010

Smoothie Queen!

So I'm on vacation this week and shaking things up a bit. Trying to work out more and eat healthier.

With that in mind I decided to take the lead of the lovely Brigid and try a green smoothie.

So I bummed her method from her and gathered the ingredients Monday morning. First Mems yelled at me for eating lunch at 10 in the morning when I grabbed the spinach, but I assured her I was using the leafy green for breakfast.



I already had frozen strawberries on hand, so I went with spinach, banana, strawberries and almond milk.

Here's Brigid's method-
Blend large handful of baby spinach, one banana, about 1.5 cups of frozen fruit, and as much water/"milk" as needed to be smooth.

She posted a picture of hers on her blog the other day (which you should all totally check out for creative ways to eat vegan and healthy -- http://veggingoutinttown.wordpress.com/

Mine, was not so green. More of a brownish color. Mems declared she wouldn't eat anything this color-



I'll add more spinach tomorrow. But it was yummy, I think it needs a bit more strawberries too for a little more sweetness.

But the added iron in the smoothie helped me stay more full longer, aside from a couple of graham crackers I wasn't really hungry for a couple of hours. That's a feat for me cause I'm a snack-a-holic.

All in all, I was happy with my excursion into green smoothies.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked. I should have mentioned that using any red fruit will turn them brown. My uber-green ones are usually mango and pineapple and/or peach with the spinach. If you ever feel decadent, a tablespoon of plain cocoa powder is a great addition, too.

    ReplyDelete