Monday, February 7, 2011

Snow Day Baking

On one of my rare afternoons at home during #ohsnowyoudidnt I decide to attempt some vegan baking.

Now, I'm not really a good baker even with regular ingredients... but I'm adventurous.

So I looked in the "Vegan Cupcakes take Over the World" book I picked up at the library last week and opted for the peanut butter cupcakes.

I have a deep love for all things peanut butter. 

Luckily I had ventured to the store to pick up crunchy peanut butter and molasses for the recipe and was good to go.

Here it is-
3/4 Cup Soy Milk (I used almond cause it's what I had)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup granulated sugar (which I know is not hard core vegan but it was in the vegan book)
2 T dark molasses ( I think I got the wrong kind but it still tasted yummy)
1 t vanilla
2 t ground flax seed
1 c plus 2 T all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

combine the vinegar and the milk and set aside to curdle
cream together the peanut butter, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla and flax seed till well combined.  Then add in the milk mixture.

Mix the flour, powder, soda and salt together then add to mixing bowl.

pour into cupcake tins (about 2/3 full) and bake in pre-heated oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Mine were really good, a little crumbly but moist and I added a dab of a chocolate frosting from the same book.

No comments:

Post a Comment