Monday, July 2, 2012

MexiQuinoa

We're going a little recipe heavy this week.

You see, I bought a car.


So I'm on a budget and cooking more at home. Also, you know I'm fat and my cholesterol sucks so I need to eat healthy things.

So I broke out my handy vegan cookbook.
And found some healthy recipes to make this week.

First up was MexiQuinoa

* 4 cups water
* 2 cups dry quinoa
* 2 cups yellow corn kernels
* 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 can sliced jalapeno peppers, drained ( I skipped this) 
* 1 cup chunky salsa

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice ( I used lime)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder 
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
* salt and pepper to taste


Optional Toppings ( I didn't use any of these) 
* 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
* 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
*1/2 cup seeded and diced tomatoes
*1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

I cut the recipe in half.  Brought the water to boil, put the quinoa in and brought it back to a boil for 10 minutes or until the water was absorbed by the quinoa.  Then I set the quinoa to the side, still covered.



While it set I mixed all the other ingredients together in a large bowl, then mix it all together!  It's Mexican rice with quinoa instead! 


I cut the recipe in half and heated some up for lunch today.  2 WW points a serving and it was yummy and filling!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the car!

    I've read your blog and followed you on Twitter for a long time. You are only as fat as you think you are. Trust me, I know. Enjoy your life NOW.

    Don't get to be my age and look back and think, "Wow, I was skinnier then than I thought I was."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am trying to appreciate and enjoy life now. The weight is just becoming an annoying after thought. Really annoying.

    ReplyDelete