We're going a little recipe heavy this week.
You see, I bought a car.
So I'm on a budget and cooking more at home. Also, you know I'm fat and my cholesterol sucks so I need to eat healthy things.
So I broke out my handy vegan cookbook.
First up was MexiQuinoa
* 4 cups water
* 2 cups dry quinoa
* 2 cups yellow corn kernels
* 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 can sliced jalapeno peppers, drained ( I skipped this)
* 1 cup chunky salsa
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice ( I used lime)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
* salt and pepper to taste
Optional Toppings ( I didn't use any of these)
* 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
* 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
*1/2 cup seeded and diced tomatoes
*1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
I cut the recipe in half. Brought the water to boil, put the quinoa in and brought it back to a boil for 10 minutes or until the water was absorbed by the quinoa. Then I set the quinoa to the side, still covered.
While it set I mixed all the other ingredients together in a large bowl, then mix it all together! It's Mexican rice with quinoa instead!
I cut the recipe in half and heated some up for lunch today. 2 WW points a serving and it was yummy and filling!