Monday, November 29, 2010

Meatless Monday

So I was watching Bobby Flay's Thanksgiving Throwdown the other day.  Mainly because The Pioneer Woman was on, my lack of cooking skills mean I rarely watch cooking shows.

But it was fun to watch, Ree and Bobby were wowing me with their skills and I found two recipes I wanted try... I know I was shocked too... but I was enamored by the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes (I made them Thanksgiving and they rocked) and by Bobby Flay's brussel sprouts.

I'd never had the sprouts before... so I looked them up to see how healthy they were... and then I googled Bobby Flay's recipe.

1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed

2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Seeds from 2 pomegranates
¼ cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place Brussels sprouts on a large baking sheet, toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until just cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.

2. Transfer sprouts to a large bowl, add the butter and stir until melted. Stir in the pomegranates seeds and walnuts.

Now I left out the walnuts cause I'm not a big fan of nuts (no snide comments, I've made them all already.)

I also only made about half of this recipe because I was the only one eating it.  I was pleasantly surprised by the dish.

It was delicious!  I loved the roasty-ness of the brussel sprouts with the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds. 

I just ate a big bowl of these and was full for the evening.

That's also two slices of no preservative bread from Ann's Bakery which is delicious too!

So now that I know I love Brussel Sprouts... who else has recipes for me to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment