Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fat Ass Goes to the Opera

I like to pretend that I'm in an elite group of people.  Some of my fave bloggers... they are of course much wittier and creative than I am... but every so often Tasha plans a blogger meet up and I put on my blogger outfit and play along.

This week it was a special visit to the final dress rehearsal for the Tulsa Opera presentation of Don Giovanni.

Now the first time I went to the opera was in elementary school.  My music teacher had the class studying Carmen, re-enacting scenes in class (I of course played Carmen), then we got to go to a special performance for area schools. 

I couldn't understand a word but I loved it.  Still I didn't go back to the opera for quite sometime.  Finally I went back a few years back with my pal Teffy to see La Boheme.  I again loved it.

So I was pretty excited to see Don Giovanni.  I went into it completely unfamilliar with the story, just ready to let the music win me over.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that I wore the same dress to the opera that I wore to an event last November and it was much looser and cuter.   So my workouts are still paying off.  Soon I'll be a hot pretend blogger.

Also I had a hot date who looked adorable in his suit.  It was his first trip to the opera and he too was completely unfamiliar with the story.

The opera itself was highly enjoyable.  A mix of tragedy and comedy as we watch the ill behavior and poor decisions of Don Giovanni.  Women wailed and cried over his actions, he laughed and drank and tormented those around him.   My date called it Jersey Shore the Opera.

The passionate singing was highly impressive, the staging was simple, but creative. Don Giovanni was a great show.

Now, I am a fan of the arts, including Opera so I know I'll go again in the future... but even if you're not- everyone should go to the Opera at least once. 

Broaden your horizons... check out some of the talent Tulsa has to offer. 

You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment