Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kate & the Battle of the Belly

I'm so sick of my gut.  It seems like no matter what I do it's always there.  The gum I can't get off my shoe... the fat I can't shake from my form.  Much like a fat Jessica Simpson I'm perpetually apple shaped.

Since January I've lost 22 pounds and the results are noticable in my legs, arms, back and even my face.  Hardly any change in the gut, it's starting to drive me crazy. Every article suggests ways to beat belly fat... which I do and have been doing for months.

Like these tips from fitsugar.com.
  • Concentrate on Neglected Zones: Try to organize your exercise routines so that you are getting total body workouts. Try interval training so that you are pushing yourself out of homeostasis and thus burning more fat. If your skin fold measurements reveal that you have gained weight in a certain place, give more attention to that area. Do a few extra repetitions or go to group classes that target that zone to build up muscle in that area to tone it.
  • Gradual Diet Changes: There are a million fad diets out there trying to convince you of a quick, efficient, delicious, and pain-free method of losing weight. However, the truth is that every individual requires a personalized diet plan, which is largely based on trial and error. Rather than freak out your system by shifting to an extreme diet, gradually introduce healthy items to your diet. For example, start a morning ritual of drinking a green smoothie.
  • Carbs From Vegetables: My trainer told me to eat most of my carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables rather than grains. Try it yourself by filling your plate predominately with vegetables rather than loading up on bread, rice, or other grains. While research has been done showing that humans are programmed to crave sugar (aka simple carbohydrates), eating more veggies will help you feel less bloated, more regular, and energized.
Check, Check, Check.

I run intervals 3 times a week and mix up Body Pump, Pilates and Yoga the rest of the week... I live on fruits and veggies and the occasional slices of whole wheat toast... yet here I sit. With my gut.

Maybe I'll just start wearing maternity tops and minidresses to show off my shapely legs. 

But for reals... any ideas on the secret of blasting belly fat?

2 comments:

  1. It's going to be the last thing to go. It takes consistency with workouts and eating right. There is no magical solution. You probably are making progress there, it's just slower than you'd like. Try taking girth measurements and a few skin fold measurements in that area, and reassess every few weeks. I'd be surprised if there hasn't been some change after 22 lbs, but keep doing what you're doing and it will come off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you drink diet coke? I was an addict for YEARS, but I gave up all artificial sweeteners in August. Since then, I've lost 2 inches from my middle with no other dietary changes....just a thought.

    ReplyDelete