Friday, September 14, 2012

Kombucha-ing it up

So I tried some kombucha .

This was not the first time I'd tried the drink, but it was the first time I tried some homemade kombucha, which I'd never heard of but after googling realized is quite common.

It all started on Twitter, where one of my pals, was tweeting poetical about pretentiousness.

"Rainy day, listening to Bon Iver and sipping homemade Kombucha. Can this tweet get any more pretentious?"

Reading that tweet now you completely understand why we're friends, right?

Anyway a whole convo evolved from that and led to a bottle of homemade Kombucha getting dropped off at work for me to try today.  Thanks @heidijoemonty for making some for me to try and @boldface for bringing it by the station!



So, what is kombucha you may be asking, my co-workers were asking when I was carrying around my fancy homemade concoction.

Here's the wiki definition: Kombucha is an effervescent fermentation of sweetened tea that is used as a functional food.

Whole Foods is a bit more creative with the description:  An ancient cultured beverage with origins in the Far East, kombucha tea has been revered for thousands of years as "the Elixir of Life" and “the Tea of Immortality.”

With my bizarre eating habits I've read numerous article touting the drink as a blood and liver detoxifier.  Now, since my blood is wonky, I've always wanted to be able to stomach this drink to test the benefits.

Every other one I've tried has been store bought and been way too vinegar-y to drink.  So I was excited to try this one, I was told it was a sweeter kombucha.

So I did and I really liked it.  It was a little vinegar-y, but not too much so to drink and I like the effervescent-ness of the drink and I was more energized, though I also had some caffeine shortly before I drank it.

I still am unclear on if there are health benefits to the drink.  Mayo Clinic says there's no proof and a  writer at one of my go to blogs FitSugar says to take everything you read about it with a grain of salt.

I think I'll probably see if I can try and find a store bought blend that I can stomach more, but I'm not putting all my faith in the tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment