Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pantry Cleanse redux

Thinking about my budget and eating more at home I decided to clean out my pantry the other day.

First, I took everything out.

Keep in mind my pantry is only two shelves, the rest of it is Mems'.

Then I sorted what I had by group:
Grain!  I love to use canning jars to store things: oatmeal, millet, quinoa, flax seed, chia, slice almonds, etc. 
Beans/Ro*Tel.  My fave food group.
Soup!  I heart soup.
My mixes, a variety of countries are represented in my pantry.
Vegetable stock is my basic.
Beans!  Staple of a vegetarian diet.  Yes, those are black turtle beans.
Members of my recent trivia excursion know how those beans hurt me.

I buy these in bulk at Sam's.  It says the jars are re-sealable, but I eat the entire jar and drink the juice in one sitting.
I heart pineapple.
Fixins! Peanut Butter powder for smoothies/oatmeal.  Nutrional yeast, sea salt.  Used sparingly and often.

Then I put it all back together and decided what I wanted to eat this week.

I invented a recipe using 1/2 cup of quinoa, 1/2 can of rotel and 1/2 a cup of corn.  Delicious.

And I perused my stash of cookbooks to find a curried lentils recipe that is currently cooking in the kitchen and smells delicious.  We'll see how it goes.
I'm hoping re-organizing my cooking ingredients will make it easier for me to eat healthy and eat at home more often.

Either that or I guess I'll starve.

No comments:

Post a Comment