Thursday, September 20, 2012

To sleep, perchance to dream

I sleep like crap.

I always have, from insomnia to bouts of sleeping whole days away.  I tend to go from one extreme to the other when it comes to getting sleep.

The recent stresses in my life with Molly's sickness, my car wreck, my health, etc.  Sleep has been even harder to come by.  The steroids Molly is on make her have to pee all the time, so we get up a lot in the middle of the night.

My lack of sleep has lead to a lack of workouts, which in turn makes it harder for me to sleep, it's a vicious cycle really.

So, I downloaded a SleepCycle app to track my sleep and see what I do on the days I get good sleep and what I do on the days I get crappy sleep to try and balance it out.

Here's 5 days worth of my sleep patterns:

Saturday night.  Up 3 times, for a total of 8 hours and 22 minutes of sleep.

Sunday night: up more with Molly.  6 hours 14 minutes of sleep, not much deep sleep.

Monday Molly's bladder was better, still only got about 6 hours of sleep.

Seven hours of sleep!  But it was split up by lots of potty breaks.
LOTS of not sleeping, but it wasn't Molly.  I just didn't sleep much.  Roughly 6 hours again.
So, what did I learn?  That I never sleep more than a couple of hours in a row before I get up with a dog, or for no reason.  My 'deep sleep' is few and far between. 

I also noticed the days I run don't help me sleep, the days I do yoga don't help me sleep, the days I don't drink caffeine don't help me sleep. 

WTF? 

FYI- I also read in Good Housekeeping or something that getting 6 hours or less sleep a night leads to an increase in belly fat.  So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment