Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kundalini?

I'm a big fan of the free community yoga Lululemon puts on once a week downtown.

In part because I'm a journalist and thereby broke, so I like the price and in part because it gives you a chance to try different yoga instructors and types of yoga.

So, the other night I went expecting a typical yoga class.  Instead it was Kundalini yoga with Celeste.

Kundalini is described as: the Yoga of Awareness, using ancient life changing techniques to create a sanctuary for all who attend to experience their highest self & connect with the quiet space within.

There wasn't a lot of movement and posing, mainly chanting and breathing and focusing of energies.

It was an experience I wasn't expecting, but it turned out to be exactly what I needed. 

60 minutes out of my day to sit and focus on nothing but my breathing, my posture, heal my energy.

What I've really learned in the months I've been a more regular yogi is that I need that time to focus on myself, to just be. 

Everything has become so much hustle and bustle, so many people running from one appointment, meeting, event to the next.  The most helpful thing you can do for yourself, your family, your peace of mind is giving yourself a moment.

I'm the worst about rushing around like a Type A control freak and sometimes I forget to sit and just breathe.

It was a nice reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment