Friday, July 23, 2010

New Horizons

In my list of 28 things to do while I'm 28 I mentioned being a more adventurous eater. My immune system had a bipolar breakdown and I'm on a fairly restrictive diet. Perfect timing right?

But I'm trying not to let it keep me from going for it... taking a cue from my bulldog... I'm pretty tenacious when I set a goal. out.

So the other day I hit up the crepe place downtown (www.modscrepes.com) and ate crepes and gelato for the first time ever. Both were delicious. I'm a sucker for anything made with artichoke hearts. I could eat them all day everyday.

In fact the new diet is kind of forcing me to branch out more... and cook a lot. I like to think of myself as a hybrid of Martha Stewart and Chelsea Handler... I cook and curse liberally. Plus I love vodka.

But while I think that... my experience in the kitchen not so great.

A few years ago my best friend at the time and I were having a Gilmore Girls watching party and I decided to make a Gilmore themed meal for us. So I consulted Mems' cookbook and whipped up some homemade macaroni and cheese along with some crispy bacon and a dessert of mallowmars. Best intentions... not the best results.

As we sit down to eat and watch our favorite fast talking mother/daughter team I took a bite of the mac and cheese and promptly spit it out. My pal persevered and kept eating, telling me with a smile plastered on her face that it was good. She had food poisoning for days. As far as I know I've improved since then... at least I've never made anyone else sick.

Now, my pantry is full of quinoa and millet (yes, I eat birdseed-it's good for your spleen) and my recipe book is full of daring macrobiotic recipies... and my friends and family are under strict orders not to eat it. I only want to sicken myself... no more victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment