Friday, November 5, 2010

Gwyneth Goes Goop

I'm pretty sure I've talked about my love of Gwyneth Paltrow in the past.  Yes, she's a pretentious and apparently uppity not-that-great actress.. but I've loved her since high school.  "Sliding Doors" is still one of my all time fave movies.

So, you KNOW I subscribe to GOOP; Gwyneth's pretentious self-help newsletter.  I have high hopes if I follow all of her advice I can land my own moody, rich British rocker and adopt a child I'll call Pomegranate. 

In her life advice she suggests expensive trips, cleanses and her friends different shops/restaurants to try... meaning most mere mortals can never take her advice.  Until today.

My dear Gwynnie (since we're obviously so similar I get to call her that) took on sugar addiction in the latest edition.  We all know I'm familiar with that beast of an addiction.   C & H is like my pusher man (cue Curtis Mayfield).

I've been back on the sugar binge for the last few weeks and I'm ready to try and kick it again.  Me and Charlie Sheen need to put our benders to an end.  So let's see how La Paltrow wants to save me from the white powdery goodness.

Tips to beat the cravings:
- Eat regularly. Eat three meals and two snacks or five small meals a day. For many people, if they don’t eat regularly, their blood sugar levels drop, they feel hungry and are more likely to crave sweet sugary snacks.

-Choose whole foods. The closer a food is to its original form, the less processed sugar it will contain.
-Have a breakfast of protein, fat and phytonutrients to start your day off right. Breakfast smoothies are ideal for this.

-Try to incorporate protein and/or fat with each meal. This helps control blood sugar levels. Make sure they are healthy sources of each.

-Add spices. Coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom will naturally sweeten your foods and reduce cravings.

-Take a good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement, Vitamin D3 and omega 3 fatty acids. Nutrient deficiencies can make cravings worse and the fewer nutrient deficiencies, the fewer cravings. Certain nutrients seem to improve blood sugar control including chromium, Vitamin B3 and magnesium.

-Move your body. Exercise, dance or do some yoga. Whatever movement you enjoy will help reduce tension, boost your energy and decrease your need for a sugar lift.

-Get enough sleep. When we are tired we often use sugar for energy to counteract the exhaustion.

-Do a detox. My experience has been that when people do a detox, not only does it reset their appetites but it often decreases their sugar cravings.
-Be open to explore the emotional issues around your sugar addiction. Many times our craving for sugar is more for an emotional need that isn’t being met.

Follow this advice and you could also be a willowly blonde with a fake British accent.  

But for serious... I am going to take some of this advice to heart and just like Lohan try to beat my drug one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment