Monday, June 3, 2013

Recreating smoky hummus

  I've been on vacation the last week or so.

Aside from a couple of trips in to work for a meeting and weather coverage.

One of the things I did while I was on vacation was go eat at Chimera in downtown Tulsa.

It was DELICIOUS.  Almost everything on the menu was vegan or vegetarian.  I got a hummus sandwich that was possibly the best hummus I've ever had.

It was bright orange and had a smoky flavor.  I googled some recipes trying to find out how it was smoky and found recipes that had 3 options- smoked olive oil, smoked paprika and a few drops of liquid smoke.

I went with the option that I could find, in this case Liquid Smoke.  Reasor's did not have the other two options.

I gathered that with my chick peas, sesame oil, chili powder, cumin and lemon juice and went to town.

Immediately I noticed the chili powder gave the hummus an orange color similar to the Chimera hummus.


Upon tasting it, there wasn't quite the same smoky flavor, but it was pretty similar. I'm sure I'll keep doctoring it and seeing if I can get it perfect.

It will probably requires more trips to Chimera, aw shucks.

I put together a sandwich of my own with it, whole wheat thin bagel, the hummus, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, veganaise and it was pretty damn tasty.



The recipe-from this blog.


1 can chickpeas (15 oz), 1-2 tbsp canning juice reserved
1/4 cup tahini (from Kate- I used sesame oil b/c I was out of Tahini)
A few drops liquid smoke (begin with just a few and use more if you want more smoke flavor)
Juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Dash cayenne pepper (I left this out because I'm a wuss) 
1) Place chickpeas in a food processor. If you want, heat them first, according to my chickpea heating instructions in the sweet potato hummus post!
2) Add tahini, a little bit (1-2 tbsp) of the canning juice that the chickpeas came in, and the lime juice. Process until smooth and creamy.
3) Add liquid smoke, salt, chili powder, cumin, and a tiny dash cayenne. Blend again, and re-season to taste if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment